After we experienced a fire at site #1 in the middle of the night on December 4th, 2007, our community pulled together in the most amazing ways to help us begin the long rebuilding process. Just a few of our personal heroes are listed here, though there are so many more who have donated their time and materials. Thank you all so very much.
- Tom Albanese with Central Concrete has supplied us with paving for our Los Gatos Boulevard site as well as additional monetary donations.
- Alison Ball of Intuit was able to provide us with a new copy of our accounting software so we can get back to business.
- Raymond at Taishan Sports Equipment in Burlingame has donated the first roll, and offered us an outstanding price on additional artificial turf needed for revamping the playground at site #2, and will extend the same discounted pricing for a play area at site #1 as we rebuild. Raymond tells us that his wife has been a teacher for many years and their hearts go out to all the students, staff and families who have been affected by losing site #1. Thank you Raymond!
- Bob Curl of S&G Carpet in San Jose has offered us a significant discount on carpet and flooring for the infant room at site #2.
- Home Depot at Hillsdale in San Jose donated three microwaves.
- Ace Hardware on Los Gatos Boulevard gave us Christmas decorations for our campuses and miscellaneous maintenance supplies.
- Ken Waters of Waters Moving & Storage in Martinez, California provided 24 much appreciated new classroom chairs.
- Skip Eastman of TriDigital Consulting in Sacramento, California has kindly volunteered his services for computer consulting and technical requirements needed to get our administrative offices back up and running.
- Wells Fargo at King’s Court Center in Los Gatos donated new deposit supplies and is hosting the Peppertree School Fire Fund. If you would like to give to the Fire Fund, please visit the Wells Fargo bank at King’s Court Center, located at the corner of Los Gatos Boulevard and Blossom Hill Road to make a donation.
- The Los Gatos School District Home and Club Presidents, specifically Catherine Briggs and Donna McCurrie, were pivotal in redirecting funds to the Peppertree School Fire Fund.
- And a huge THANK YOU to everyone who has already contributed to the Peppertree School Fire Fund, and to those of you who supported the Peppertree School Christmas Tree fundraiser. The proceeds from the fundraiser and from the Fire Fund all go directly to the rebuilding effort that we now face.
- Through a fantastic effort of our community, staff and Peppertree families, we were thrilled to celebrate the Grand Re-Opening of our original Peppertree site at Los Gatos-Almaden and National on June 12, 2009!
More About Our Community
As you all know, there is so much going on in the world right now.Expanding children’s knowledge of the world is important and what better place to start than their home, school, and immediate community. We believe that children develop a greater sense of confidence and security when they are aware of and are familiar with their surroundings. Peppertree provides many resources and opportunities for increased family involvement, which enhances the sense of security and support in the students: the sense that family, school and community are working together as a team for their benefit.
Referring families to community entities that can assist them when needed is one example of bringing the community into the school to benefit our students. We also look for ways that our students can get involved with community activities and projects outside the school. As we attend/participate in community functions such as planting trees for the Los Gatos Arbor Day Celebration, and working with the Parks & Rec. department on projects like cleaning up the Los Gatos creek trail, the children feel that they are a part of something greater and that they are contributing toward the well-being of their community.
Some Examples of our Community Involvement:
- Fire Station Visit from Shannon Road Fire Fighters
- Cedar Creek Alzheimers Center
- Spring Clean-up and Gardening Day
- Community Yard Sale
- Santa Clara County Children’s Shelter: Staff Appreciation
- Pumpkin Patch Fundraiser
- Christmas Tree Lot
- Los Gatos Children’s Holiday Parade
- Holiday Caroling @ King’s Court Shopping Center
- Arbor Day Celebration in Los Gatos (Planting trees)